July 10, 2017
Open Position: Senior Associate, New York City
Civitas Public Affairs Group is a values-based public affairs firm that delivers winning advocacy campaigns for our clients and the communities they serve. We enlist experts, leverage relationships, and build coalitions to address some of the most pressing political and societal challenges of our day.
Our bipartisan firm brings proven experience developing innovative advocacy campaigns to win substantive policy change at the local, state, and national levels. With offices in five cities across the country, we work closely with the nation’s leading philanthropists, non-profit organizations, and movements to substantively impact progressive issues and causes.
We partner with clients making a positive impact in the world and we are looking for a senior associate to join our winning team in New York City.
This position will involve direct engagement with the senior leadership of the firm and the clients that we serve, providing the right candidate with direct exposure to big picture policy and strategy development with some of the nation’s top political, policy, and thought leaders.
Reporting to principal and director of our New York office, Katherine Grainger, the senior associate will manage a diverse client portfolio and work directly with a wide range of national leaders to build and implement cutting- edge initiatives aimed at addressing issues of critical importance on both the national and local stage.
We want someone with a 360-degree view of the political and public policy landscape. The ideal candidate is highly versatile, with both, specific issue/area expertise and general knowledge of the tools and tactics used to drive results. Experience on Capitol Hill, state legislatures and/or a political campaign is desired, as is a background in communications. Knowledge of reproductive rights, women’s rights, and/or civil rights, including LGBTQ rights, is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Work with senior leadership of the firm to manage client engagement, including the development of policy, communication, donor, and management strategies.
- Support the day-to-day management of the New York office and help ensure client activities are streamlined.
- Be creative and think outside of the box when developing big picture policy objectives.
- Conduct and organize research on legislative, policy, and campaign issues, and monitor developments.
- Provide daily project management, staffing, and support in the execution of client goals.
- Oversee the development and execution of comprehensive issue/positioning landscape analyses.
- Organize and lead large client strategy sessions and presentations as needed.
- Develop effective policy/legislative recommendations and options that support client goals and mission while addressing areas of political risk.
- Create written products on an ongoing basis, including fact sheets, white papers, press releases, toolkits, talking points, and model legislation/executive orders.
- Keep up-to-date on current legislative and regulatory work and respond to questions from staff and ensure discretion in communication to all stakeholders, using judgment to ensure such communications are strategic and trustworthy.
- Provide project, event, meeting support and other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience in policy development, legislative experience, and/or political campaigns, including program strategy and execution.
- Excellent written and oral communication, advocacy, and analytic skills, including the ability to explain complex issues in clear, persuasive terms.
- Strong networking skills and the ability to develop and maintain relationships with individuals, organizations, and government agencies, as well as the ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Proven ability to manage workload with short- and long-term projects, shifting priorities, and varied workflow.
- Organized and able to multi-task, determine priorities, and follow through on responsibilities in a fast- paced environment.
- Strong computer, web, and technology skills (particularly proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to assist in logistical planning for meetings, convenings, and conferences.
- Passion for using work to make the world a better place, combined with a sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in law or public policy preferred.
- Some travel required.
HOW TO APPLY