September 6, 2018
Opportunity at Civitas: Senior Associate/Associate
Civitas Public Affairs Group is a values-based public affairs firm that delivers winning advocacy campaigns for our clients and the communities they serve. We enlist experts, leverage relationships, and build coalitions to address some of the most pressing political and societal challenges of our day.
Our bipartisan firm brings proven experience developing innovative advocacy campaigns to win substantive policy change at the local, state, and national levels. With offices in five cities across the country, we work closely with the nation’s leading philanthropists, non-profit organizations, and movements to substantively impact progressive issues and causes.
We are looking for an associate or senior associate to join our winning team in Washington, DC.
This position will involve engagement with the senior leadership of the firm and the clients that we serve, providing the right candidate with direct exposure to big picture policy and strategy development with some of the nation’s top political, policy, and thought leaders.
We want someone with a 360-degree view of the political and public policy landscape. The ideal candidate is highly versatile, with both, specific issue/area expertise and general knowledge of the tools and tactics used to drive results. Experience on Capitol Hill, state legislatures and/or candidate or issue/ballot campaigns is desired, as is a background in communications.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Support strategy development, project management, and implementation of client work plans.
- Lead the creation of plans, reports, presentations, and relevant client-related documentation.
- Maintain up-to-the-minute understanding of news, legislation, the political landscape, and otherfactors impacting the client’s objectives.
- Proactively identify and flag opportunities and challenges for client leads.
- Work in partnership with organizations and build coalitions with varied and diversestakeholders.
- Lead the planning and execution of meetings and large-scale events, as well as run phone calls and client meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience developing and executing program strategies within a mix of the following fields: communications; state level advocacy; federal lobbying working with Congress, White House and federal agencies; policy and political engagement; and/or legislative or electoral campaigns.
- Excellent written and oral communication, advocacy, and analytic skills, including the ability to explain complex issues in clear, persuasive terms.
- Strong networking skills and the ability to develop and maintain relationships with individuals, organizations, and government agencies, as well as the ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Proven ability to manage workload with short- and long-term projects, shifting priorities, and varied workflow.
- Organized and able to multi-task, determine priorities, and follow through on responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong computer, web, and technology skills (particularly proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to assist in logistical planning for meetings, convenings, and conferences.
- Passion for using work to make the world a better place, combined with a sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in law or public policy preferred.
- Some travel required.
Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.